Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Names of Jehovah ~ Sabaoth


This series shall expound upon the names attributed to God, by God, throughout the Old Testament. There are others; however, these are the ones which are used in combination with the name of JEHOVAH. Through these descriptors, His almighty character and identity are revealed. Just as they gave comfort and reassurance to the Israelites and their descendents, so too are they relevant today in encouraging believers to seek and know the true JEHOVAH, the great I AM.

JEHOVAH-SABAOTH
"The Lord of Hosts"


Isaiah 44:6-8 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any."

The LORD OF HOSTS reigns holy over all that is, was, and ever will be. He commands the armies of angels and the heavens. All power, glory, and majesty are His. He is the supreme ruler of the universe. In the story of creation found in Genesis, God rests on the seventh day when, "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them."


God says in Isaiah 45:12-13, "I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded." The elements in the galaxies move in accordance with the will of God. Nothing happens, in the earthly or spiritual realm,  without His ordination.  

Below are some images of the universe taken by the new wide field camera 3 on the Hubble Telescope.


A star birth in Carina Nebula



NGC 6302, nebula around a dying star



100,000 stars of Omega Centauri, a globular cluster



a clash of galactic groupings, "Stephen's Quintet"


JEHOVAH-SABAOTH, "Lord of Hosts", the great I AM, with dominion over those very galaxies, knows the number of hairs on the head of man. He knows the number and names of the stars. As the Psalmist asks, "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him?"

Consider His majesty. Consider His works. Consider His name. JEHOVAH-SABAOTH, "The Lord of Hosts".

"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."
 M

Hubble Space Photos

Hebrew Names

Blue Letter Bible

Bread on the Waters

Precept Austin