Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Names of Jehovah ~ Rohi


This series shall expound upon the names attributed to God, by God, throughout the Old Testament. There are others; however, these are the ones which are used in combination with the name of JEHOVAH. Through these descriptors, His almighty character and identity are revealed. Just as they gave comfort and reassurance to the Israelites and their descendents, so too are they relevant today in encouraging believers to seek and know the true JEHOVAH, the great I AM.

JEHOVAH-ROHI
"The Lord Our Shepherd"


Psalms 23
 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the
paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall
follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the
house of the LORD for ever.


One of the most beloved Psalms of all times, one that many Christians have committed to memory, and one that most turn to in the time of turmoil is the Twenty-Third Psalm. A shepherd himself as a young man, the author King David related to the relationship between sheep and shepherd. He knew the nature and character of sheep, timid, fearful, nervous, suspicious, and fragile. They need a comforter, a provider, someone tender, caring, calming, someone dependable.


The Lord, JEHOVAH-ROHI promises to be that someone. "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young." (Isaiah 40:11) His arms are a refuge for the weary. His staff gently guides the lost. His reassuring voice calms the anxious and fearful spirit. He annoints his people with the healing balm of Gilead.


Read Christ's own words from the tenth chapter of the book of John. He has come that all may know Him and be brought into His Kingdom. He says we shall hear His voice and become one fold with one shepherd.

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again."

In one collective voice, one nation, one people, let us declare Him Shepherd over the land, "Savior, like a Shepherd lead us". Let us dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Find refuge at His feet. M



The following were used as reference:

Hebrew Names of God

Blue Letter Bible

Bread on the Waters