Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Bible in Isaiah

In my studies this week I found an interesting theory about the book of Isaiah. According to Dr. Ian Richard Kyle Paisley in His treatise Seven Reasons Why I Believe the Bible to be the Word of God, "The wisdom of God and His overruling superintending care for the Bible are continually demonstrated. Take for example, the book of Isaiah. We examine it and discover that its chapters are the same in number as the books of the Bible, sixty-six. How fascinating our study becomes when we consider the contents of the book and find that it is indeed the Bible in miniature."

If Dr. Paisley is correct, then the forty-nineth chapter of Isaiah would correspond to the book of Ephesians, found in the New Testament. The Transformation Study Bible, (David C. Cook, 2009, p. 1995), says that the theme of Ephesians is  "the Christian's riches of blessings in Christ". The Christian has limitless wealth at their disposal through the inheritance in Christ. This chapter puts emphasis on being a creation in Christ.  The TSB says, "In other words, God planned for and will help us live rich, transformed lives!"
 
When reading through these scriptures, note the resemblence of thought and word choice between the prophet Isaiah and the apostle Paul. Keep in mind that these writings would have been composed almost 800 years apart. First is listed a verse from Isaiah Chapter 49, then what follows are closely parallel verses from Ephesians, the 49th book of the Bible.



Isaiah 49:4  But I said, "I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing. Yet what is due me is in the Lord's hand, and my reward is with my God."
 
 
Ephesians 1:18  I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
 
~ ~ ~
 
Isaiah 49:6 "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."  
 
Ephesians 4:17-18 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light
 
~ ~ ~
 
Isaiah 49:4-5 Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God. 5 And now, saith the LORD that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and my God shall be my strength.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

~ ~ ~
Isaiah 49:15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.

Ephesians 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory.
Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
~ ~ ~

Isaiah 49:22-23 Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders. And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD: for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me.
 
 
Ephesians 3:6  This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 3:8-10  Although I am less than the least of all God's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,
Ephesians 5:1  Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
Ephesians 6:1-2  Children,  "Honor your father and mother"--

~ ~ ~
 
Isaiah 49:26  And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.
 
Ephesians 2:3  Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Ephesians 5:18  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
 
~ ~ ~
 
Ephesians 3:14-19  For this reason I kneel before the Father,  from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name.  I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,  so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.