Friday, January 22, 2010

Jabez Prayer ~ Part Three

Embedded deep in the book of First Chronicles is a mini-story of a man named Jabez who prayed a prayer that changed his life. Bruce Wilkinson writes about this prayer in his #1 New York Bestseller titled The Prayer of Jabez, Breaking Through to the Blessed Life. I want to encourage you to read this book and pray this prayer:

1 Chronicles 4:9-10 (KJV)
"And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."

We studied the first two segments of this prayer already, petitions for blessings and expanded coastlines. Thirdly, Jabez asks that the Lord keep his hand upon him. Smart fellow, this Jabez. He says Lord, please bless me and expand my little world, but would you mind if you keep that big strong hand right here covering my back. This, in itself, is a great petition. We always want to have the hand of the Lord with us no matter what the circumstances!

Deuteronomy 2:7 is a reminder to the children of Israel of the importance of having God with them. "For the LORD thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the LORD thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing."

I did a word search for the all the times in the Bible that reference is made to either God being with His people or to Him having His hand upon them. Over and over, time after time, book after book, verse after verse, the references were endless! I picked just a few to give a feel for the importance and magnificence of having God present in all endeavors.

1 Kings 18:46 "And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins,"
 
Ezra 7:28 "And I was strengthened as the hand of the LORD my God was upon me,"

Psalms 98:1 "O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory."

Isaiah 41:20 "That they may see, and know, and consider, and understand together, that the hand of the LORD hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it."

Ezekiel 3:22 "And the hand of the LORD was there upon me; and he said unto me, Arise, go forth into the plain, and I will there talk with thee."

Acts 11:21 "And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord."
 
His hand is mighty! Go forth with His covering over you...
 
Tomorrow, keeping evil away. M