Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jabez Prayer ~ Part Four

Embedded deep in the book of First Chronicles is a mini-story of a man named Jabez who prayed a prayer that changed his life. Bruce Wilkinson writes about this prayer in his #1 New York Bestseller titled The Prayer of Jabez, Breaking Through to the Blessed Life. I want to encourage you to read this book and pray this prayer:

1 Chronicles 4:9-10

"And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."

We have been looking at Jabez's prayer now for four posts. The first where he asks for blessings, the second where he asks that his coasts be expanded, and the third where he asks that the Lord keep his hand upon him. Which brings us to the final in the four part petition when, finally, Jabez requests that the Lord keep him from evil that it will not grieve him.

Here, Jabez asks that the Lord lead him down the right path. This takes us back to the post from January 9th where I wrote about praying for the Lord to direct our ways. It also has hints from the Lord's Prayer, where Jesus teaches His disciples to pray "and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil". (Luke 11:4b) Jabez doesn't just want to respond correctly to temptation, he just plain wants to stay away from the stuff, which is a very, very wise decision.

He follows his request with "that it will not grieve me". I prefer the version that reads "so that I will do no harm". You see Jabez wants to be safe from temptation but his motive is so righteous. It is so he will not cause hurt, anguish, pain. Isn't that selfless? Basically, he is saying, I want good to come of the things I do. I don't want to be the stumbling block. I don't want to be the trouble maker. I don't want my actions, words, or thoughts to do damage.

Jesus told his disciples in Luke 22:40, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." So we see multiple times in scripture that we should stay away from the evil that will harm us and others. We also see in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that we will be protected from more than we can handle. "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 

So, there it is ~ one prayer ~ four petitions, four lines, four scripturally sound segments. Each of us has one life. Why not be the more honorable of the brethren? Adopt this prayer today and for always. M


If you really find the message of Jabez facinating, you might enjoy the fictional book about Jabez by Thom Lemmons. The author imagines what life might have been like for Jabez and recreates the story of his life in this quite intriguing book.