Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Holy Spirit Leading

Since I began posting on this blog over four years ago, I have begun developing my skill at illustrating. I have found this tool useful in expressing emotions that are deep within my soul. Sometimes it is possible to draw how you feel when you cannot find the words to write. With this post I muse about a life-stage I am transitioning through. As I use a recent piece of art to divulge how The Holy Spirit has begun to lead me on a new path, please indulge me as I  share my own “thoughts” along the way.

framed M leaving C

I sat down recently and drew a “thought image” that I had the previous night. This image carried me back through a few stages of my life which I put together in a drawing. Each “piece” came from a different time period of my life.

The first was that of me as a young girl, unable to make decisions of my own. I guess life must have been easy because all I had to do was just be a cute little girl and enjoy the “ride”.Balconies Heights Carnival with officer

The second image was not of myself, but of my parents. It was from my youth. My parents were strong, healthy, vital adults in those days. They had the world by the tail and were working towards a dream. This image is from a black and white Polaroid that continues to be among my favorites.

The third image was that of recently created book characters. These whimsical little beings have emerged through my children’s books. I guess I could say they represent the “new me”. I am on a path of study, writing, creating. Perhaps I thought I had come to a place where I could nestle in and live out the rest of my years…

Perhaps, but alas not, that is where the leading of the Holy Spirit takes over the story.

I have described the characters from my image, but I have not yet divulged what their actions represent to me. You see, I believe I am at a point in my life where the Holy Spirit is leading me to worlds unknown. Jeremiah 6: 16 reads, Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.”  I “pray” this scripture over my life every morning with what I consider to be its companion scripture from Isaiah 30:21, “And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.”

M in boatThe little girl with the pensive face is being led away from the ties of her past. As with most of us, the future holds unknown elements. How much easier it is to keep our focus on the things we are familiar with? The verse comes to mind from Matthew where Jesus told the rich young man to “go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.” Matthew 19:21 (KJV) I think that most of us would do as the young man and “(go) away sorrowful” even if we were not being asked to give up possessions. To the command to simply “go down a different path”, I was resisting.

You might be judging my life to be a pathetic one if four children’s book characters could move me! Actually, the little guys are from recent books I have written. The Little Monkey introduces scriptures about God and teaches that children learn by example. The Little Lamb illustrates the “gifts of the spirit” and how Jesus can change our lives. The Little Dove demonstrates the move of the Spirit of The Lord in our lives. My work on Little Dove brought to light the move of the Holy Spirit from His singing a new song, His fluttering over the waters of our soul, His leading, wisdom, love, freedom, and His desire to bring us to the good grain. All have helped me as I evaluate my life.

The plump bear character in the wagon with me is the side-kick to a little girl named “Lottie” whose features were inspired by my mother’s childhood image. Little Lottie will teach that God could not love us any “more”, that He created us just the way we are, and that no matter what we do, He will not love us “less”. While researching these books, I could not help but become closer to The Lord. Writing and illustrating brings me pure delight. I think I can see how the four of us are in a little red wagon together.

And so it is, Balconies Heights Carnival Ma whole new world of exciting experiences awaits me and my friends. As the colors from the past fade out, the future holds a vibrant rainbow of possibilities. I feel somewhat like Father Abraham and the experience recorded in Hebrews 11: 8 – 10, “ By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.”

For no matter what we are asked to leave behind, no matter the price or the cost, it is faith followed by obedience that is required of us. When Jesus called His disciples, His words were simply, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” And what was their response? Did they look back and count the cost? Did they weigh their options, research the pros and cons, consult the experts? No, “they straightway left their nets, and followed him.” Some “… immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.” Matthew 4:19-20, 22

I think the words of Psalms 16 summarize the depth of my thoughts and express my trust in God’s leading. I hope that this message has encouraged others as you make difficult decisions in your life. May the Holy Spirit guide you. May you take Jesus by His right hand and walk into your future with confidence and your eyes on the Prize of Heaven!

Psalm 16:1, 5-9, 11  (KJV)
1
Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
5 The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.
6 The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.
7 I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
8 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.


As for me, I have a picture to finish… and a book waiting to be published!!! We are raring to go!
Marion in wagon w friends

2 smoky eyes

sig red

You can learn more about Marion’s books at MarionWRichardson.com

Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Little-Dove-scripture-introduce-Spirit/dp/1497372992/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400008491&sr=8-1&keywords=little+dove+marion+richardsonhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1493614851/ref=rdr_ext_tmbhttp://www.amazon.com/Little-Lamb-scriptural-instruction-Volume/dp/1495248755
 
Watch for “Little Lottie” in July of 2014 on Amazon

No comments: