Saturday, January 15, 2011

Turning Your Countenance


Jesus answered and said unto him, “If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." (1)

Christ said, “At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you”. (2)

The believer carries the Father and the Son within. The words of Christ in the Book of John testify to that fact. “We will come unto him, and make our abode with him”. The only uncreated one and His begotten are planted in the believer. “At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.” As the triune God is rendered through His people, so will their countenance reflect His presence. As it blesses others for the Lord to turn His face towards them, when the believer turns a favorable face on fellow man, blessings abound.

Man has a countenance about him. Webster’s calls it “the look on a person’s face that shows one’s nature or feeling”. (3) The countenance of a person reveals the substance of their inner self. In Genesis, after he brought an unworthy sacrifice, the Lord read Cain’s thoughts when He inquired of Cain, “Why art thou wroth? And why is thy countenance fallen?” (4) In the same manner, when Rachel’s father, Leban, became unhappy with Jacob, it could not be hidden. “Jacob beheld the countenance of Laban, and behold, it was not toward him as before.” (5) Some have this inability to suppress their true feelings. In the case of Leban, although he did not speak badly of Jacob, his countenance exposed the discord.

The countenance of man unlocks souls baring exposed beings. In the book of Nehemiah, Artaxerxes, the king, ascertained that his cupbearer was unsettled. He inquired, “Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? This is nothing else but sorrow of heart.” (6) The keen analysis of his majesty of Babylon detected the nature and countenance born by his servant. Indeed, the sullen resolve was a result of his beloved Jerusalem being laid waste, her valiant gates consumed with pungent, smoky flames.

Note too, that man can indeed control his countenance. It is further described in Webster’s as a “way one holds oneself, restraint”. (7) Christ warned against this when he counseled, “Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast.” (8) Thus, man’s true feelings are revealed through his countenance, but deceitful men can manipulate their appearance.

Whether naturally, from the depths, or by false witness, humans perceive feelings, nature, and attitude from countenance. Faces mirror hearts. Raw and transparent, countenance speaks, sometimes tranquil and melodious, but too often harsh and abrasive. We affect others with countenance, whether it be cheerful, upbeat, positive or downtrodden, heavy hearted, or carries angst.

The countenance of a man reveals his heart.

His innermost feelings are mirrored in one’s countenance.

Their hearts their countenance displays,
both men and women.

In the book of Numbers, the Lord addressed Moses commanding that Aaron and his sons bless the children of Israel by placing the name of the Lord upon the nation. The blessing has become known as the “Aaronic benediction” (9). In the King James Version (10) it reads:

“The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.”

In comparison, in the New International Version (9), the word “countenance” references the face of the Lord. It involves the action of turning towards.

"The LORD bless you and keep you;

The LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;

The LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."'

In assembling the King James and New International versions, several scriptures exhibit the word countenance being used interchangeably with the expression of light from the face of the Lord and the presence of the Lord.

To illustrate, in Psalm 4:6, see the “light of countenance” and “face shine upon” interchanged:

Psalm 4:6 (KJV) There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.

Psalm 4:6 (NIV) Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.

In like manner, “His presence” and “His countenance” have the same connotation:

Psalm 21:6 (KJV) For thou hast made him most blessed for ever: thou hast made him exceeding glad with thy countenance.

Psalm 21:6 (NIV) Surely you have granted him eternal blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence.

In the same way, in Chapter forty four, “light of thy countenance” and “light of your face” establish the same meaning:

Psalm 44:3 (KJV) For they got not the land in possession by their own sword, neither did their own arm save them: but thy right hand, and thine arm, and the light of thy countenance, because thou hadst a favour unto them.

Psalm 44:3 (NIV) It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.

Similarly, “the light of thy countenance” equates to “Light of your presence”.

Psalm 89:15-16 (KJV) Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance. In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted.

Psalm 89:15-16 (NIV) Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O LORD. They rejoice in your name all day long; they exult in your righteousness.

In the book of Revelation, the words “his countenance” used in the King James Version translates as “his face” in the New International Version.

Revelation 1:16 (KJV) And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Revelation 1:16 (NIV) In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

Further reading in the scripture reveals that when one’s countenance is directed toward another, it is a good thing, sparking contentment and well-being. Dwelling as social creatures, we require the recognition of others. Lack of acknowledgement from family, friends, and fellow workers can leave souls scared, aching, hungering.

In Proverbs, the writer believes that, “In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain.” (11) Having the one on the regal velvet throne turn his face towards the individual was so sought that it is compared to the goodness of seasonal showers. In the Song of Songs, the author is passionate towards their loved one, their “dove”, pleading, “let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely.” (12)

If man longs for the countenance of his fellow men, how much greater is his longing for the countenance of his heavenly Father? Peter spoke flowery of how King David was filled with the joy of God’s countenance. (13)

As followers of Christ, our countenance impacts others. Our expression of the love of the Father, the love of the Son, and our own spirit filled love is through our countenance.

Christ pressed in with prayer in the book of John describing His will, and that of His Father, that we be one, unified. (14) Our countenance is to be a reflection of their glory.

John 17:20-26 (NIV) 20 "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25 "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

Jesus’ eloquent petition shows us that He is in us. The love of God is deposited in us. He emphasized, “I in them and you in me”. He would make His Father known in order that we, each one, are reservoirs of His Father’s love just as Jesus Christ, himself, in-fills us. Therefore; our countenance, transformed by the Father and the Son, reflects the glory of their presence.

Lip to ear, hand to hand, foot to ground

Blood on the lintel, tears in a cup, nails at the cross

Deep roots in a garden you did not plant,

With abundant fruit to nourish the soul,

Springing forth with love that cannot be contained.


It is the created man who reflects God’s glory for “we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” (15) With our face, we show His face. With our countenance, we show His glory. “For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.” (16) As the Apostle Paul taught, “We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.” (17) Brothers and Sisters, we must reflect His light and love through our countenance. We are admonished to but “Live as children of light” because “now you are light in the Lord”. (18)

In drinking the cup we water the garden of our souls.

The garden requires that the cup be drank to water the soul.

Watering the garden of the soul comes from drinking the cup of His love.

So as Christ dwells in each of us, both men and women, it will be evidenced in the way we carry ourselves, tone and manner, reactions, overall appearance. In a gentle voice. In a kind touch. In a joy-filled smile. A steady stream of love and compassion will flow from within.

In his letter to the Thessalonians, Paul prayed they have qualities that would express God’s presence.

1 Thessalonians 3:11-12 (NIV) Now may our God and Father himself and our Lord Jesus clear the way for us to come to you. May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.

2 Thessalonians 1:12 (NIV) We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

As Aaron pronounced the blessing on the Israelites, an appeal that the Lord bless and keep them, seeking that He would make His face shine upon them, believing that He would turn His countenance towards them, so might we feel admonished by the Lord to do the same for our fellow man. May we today be observant as routine blurs humanity into a murky mass, in busy markets, on endless calls, between harried parking, through yet another airport, over fingerprinted menus. Be mindful on all occasions, beneath heavy burdens, across impossible relationships, down endless roads, that we carry a precious cargo. Be advised that we project their presence, their glory, their love.

“May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (19)

The countenance of a man reveals HIS blessing.

HIS blessings are mirrored in one’s countenance.

Blessings from above are displayed in their countenance,
both that of men and women.

“Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy”
1 Peter 1:16

Because their countenance is good, pleasing, and perfect, that of the Father and the Son; because they dwell in you, both the Father and the Son; because their glory is revealed through you, both the Father and the Son; so too, must your radiant countenance be turned toward your fellow man.

Let your face shine!


References:
(1) John 14:23 (KJV) 23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

(2) John 14:17-21 (KJV) Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

(3) Webster’s New World Dictionary of American English, ed. Victoria Neufeldt, (New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1988), p. 317

(4) Genesis 4:3-7 (KJV) 3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD. 4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: 5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. 6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? 7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

(5) Genesis 31:1-7 (KJV) 1 And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, Jacob hath taken away all that was our father's; and of that which was our father's hath he gotten all this glory. 2 And Jacob beheld the countenance of Laban, and, behold, it was not toward him as before. 3 And the LORD said unto Jacob, Return unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy kindred; and I will be with thee. 4 And Jacob sent and called Rachel and Leah to the field unto his flock, 5 And said unto them, I see your father's countenance, that it is not toward me as before; but the God of my father hath been with me. 6 And ye know that with all my power I have served your father. 7 And your father hath deceived me, and changed my wages ten times; but God suffered him not to hurt me.

(6) Nehemiah 2:1-5 (KJV) 1 And it came to pass in the month Nisan, in the twentieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that wine was before him: and I took up the wine, and gave it unto the king. Now I had not been beforetime sad in his presence. 2 Wherefore the king said unto me, Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? this is nothing else but sorrow of heart. Then I was very sore afraid, 3 And said unto the king, Let the king live for ever: why should not my countenance be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers' sepulchres, lieth waste, and the gates thereof are consumed with fire? 4 Then the king said unto me, For what dost thou make request? So I prayed to the God of heaven. 5 And I said unto the king, If it please the king, and if thy servant have found favour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send me unto Judah, unto the city of my fathers' sepulchres, that I may build it.

(7) Webster’s New World Dictionary of American English, ed. Victoria Neufeldt, (New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1988), p. 317

(8) Matthew 6:16 (KJV) 16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

(9) Numbers 6:22-27 (NIV) 22 The LORD said to Moses, 23 "Tell Aaron and his sons, 'This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them: 24 "' "The LORD bless you and keep you; 25 the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; 26 the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."' 27 "So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them."

(10) Numbers 6:22-27 (KJV) 22 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 23 Speak unto Aaron and unto his sons, saying, On this wise ye shall bless the children of Israel, saying unto them, 24 The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: 25 The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: 26 The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. 27 And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

(11) Proverbs 16:15 (KJV) 15 In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain.

(12) Song of Songs 2:14 (KJV) 14 O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely.

(13) Acts 2:25-28 (KJV) 25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: 26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

(14) John 17:20-26 (NIV) 20 "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25 "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

(15) 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NIV) 18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

(16) 2 Corinthians 4:6 (NIV) 6 For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

(17) 2 Corinthians 5:20 (NIV) 20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

(18) Ephesians 5:8-10 (NIV) 8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord.

(19) Hebrews 13:20-21 (NIV) 20 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.











No comments: