Tuesday, February 9, 2010

An Angel Above, A Burro Beneath ~ Introduction

I share this donkey documentary to lay a background for this expository...

A few years ago I mused this blessing: "May you have an angel above you and a burro beneath you" because...

One Mother's Day, my husband got me the pet I of my dreams, a petite (although precocious) donkey.

We have learned that donkey colt's have a mind of their own. The ranch newby butted heads with my husband seemingly intent to demonstrate who was boss. It didn't always work in her favor.  Yet, proving to be an intelligent animal, she learned the ranch rules quite readily, making up a few of her own.

Donkeys like human interaction. It was not uncommon to see Trush peering in through the glass door of our home. One day, she trotted on in, one donkey through two rooms, tromping three oriental carpets. About the time that she approached the leather sofa, I realized my bad decision. That was a lesson best learned in haste!

The bond between livestock and burros is strong as well. One year Trushy adopted a newborn calf. This took place before the newborn calf had a chance to begin nursing on the mother. Fortunately, rope and ingenious cowboy later, the baby was reuninted with mother.

You wouldn't think a donkey would befriend a cat either, but this one has. The cat lays on the ground while Trush nudges the tummy fur. The smaller likes to use the larger's legs as both a scratching and gnawing post. I guess the equine has found canine entertainment.

Like I said earlier, all this donkey talk has a purpose...
I'll expound on it more tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy these photos of Trush, the burro. M

Eating the gravel, hmmm, delightful!








Here with me and our black lab, Annie, who has since passed on to doggie heaven...







You can tell that both the burro and my pomeranian are in full gear. I take it this was a friendly romp!








My nephew is one BIG  fan of animals. He really bonded with Trush, the livestock, the dogs, the cat... well, you get it!