Monday, January 11, 2010

Love Languages ~ Second Lesson ~ Acts of Service

#2 ~ Acts of Service :
When you do acts that will please someone as a servant.

God's word shows us how His love language incorporates Acts of Service:

Deut 11:13 So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today--
to love the Lord your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul--
Luke 22:27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves?
Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.
Hebrews 1:14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Matthew 25:35-36 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

The following are ways that we can provide acts of service:

* through putting thought into the act
When performing acts of service, one needs to put thought, planning, time, effort and energy into the act. ie: you know they would like their yard raked, so you plan a time when they are not home and surprise them, bake a cake for someone, take their car to get washed, make the bed when you visit your parents, etc.

* through doing the acts with a positive spirit
The Bible tells us that Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. We are told in Galatians 5:13 to "serve one another in love". You never want to do an act grudgingly or with a negative spirit, it won't be accepted well. Service cannot be coerced ~ It should be a matter of choice ~ an act of love

*through listening to the comments a person makes, you will know which acts they need. If you or your friend/family member seems to constantly bring up acts of service that they "wish" people would perform, this is probably their love language. They need someone to do things for them to feel loved. Listen to what they say and surprise them with a kind act of service!!!

SERVICE IS IMPORTANT!