Saturday, January 30, 2010

confessions of my not so couture closet

As with most women, I am dissatisfied with my closet. It is unorganized. It is overflowing. Basically, it is disfunctional. If you care to follow my silliness regarding the process of getting my wardrobe together, follow along. I am going to keep this post stuffed to the back of the blog. It will be accessible through the post archive and updated as time goes on...

It all began around ten years ago when I found the book 40 over 40 by Brenda Kinsel. She writes "every women over 40 needs to know about getting dressed."  Filled with fun, informative, practical and inspirational tips, it goes through the process of de-frumping the over forty-year old's closet. Along the way, she tells how to rearrange and weed out the old stuff.

I am currently in the early stages of closet re-arrange. Today I placed my tops in order by color. This is supposed to be pleasant to the eye and allow for more creativity. The suggestion was to do it from dark to light. I, instead, started with whites and creams and browns, flowed into golden yellow and orange, tucked in the reds and purples, then a sea of green, turquoise and blue, finally exploding into a mass of black. NOTE: I am supposed to have switched out the wire hangers. That will come after a trip to Target!

My first test came later. And surprize! It worked! My eyes lit on a striped grey henley which I layered with a charcoal tee, and my Izod puffer vest.  I teamed that with my button up Lucky Jeans, a pair of suede fur tipped boots, and my staple Chrome Hearts dog tags. Ready for a casual day at the ranch!

Check back as this post is an ongoing project!!!